Sunday, August 7, 2016

Bruschetta


Why don't I have a photo of bruschetta for this post? Because I would like to make the point that the typical bruschetta topping of tomatoes, garlic, basil, olive oil, etc. is incredibly adaptable. For example, it is excellent over quinoa. Also, this photo turned out much better than the ones of the topping on toast.

I have a pretty solid recipe for bruschetta topping that I have refined over the years and, even though I have posted about it before, I think it warrants another mention (and an updated recipe). Along with the copious amounts of garlic I think a high-quality balsamic vinegar makes a difference here. I use this one. You could also use cheaper balsamic and reduce it.

Bruschetta
Ingredients

  • 3/4+ pounds tomatoes, chopped
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1-1.5 tbsp. good balsamic vinegar (again, I use this one
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil, stems removed and chopped small (I used the equivalent of one basil "ice cube" that I froze earlier this summer, which includes a little olive oil) 
  • 1/4 tsp. salt or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
  • Baguette, cut into thin slies
  • Parmesan cheese to taste

Directions

  • Combine the tomatoes, garlic, oil, vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper. Allow the mixture to sit for at least 10 minutes, ideally longer.
  • Optionally, if you are feeling inspired, rub each slice of baguette with a clove of garlic and brush with oil. 
  • NOT optionally, lay out the slices of baguette on a baking sheet and top with grated Parmesan cheese. 
  • Broil the bread and cheese (or bake on high heat) for 2-3 minutes, or until toasted and melted.
  • Serve the bread with the bruschetta topping.

I haven't tried this, but I also know it would also make an excellent panzanella (bread salad).

No comments:

Post a Comment