Thursday, June 9, 2016

CSA Week 1 - June 9th, 2016


Here we go again! The 2016 Greenacres CSA started for me today and I chose to do a bi-weekly share this year instead of a full share. I love this idea since it is logistically easier for both the producers and the CSA customers compared to a split share. The produce is so high-quality and fresh that much of it will last through the two weeks and beyond (unlike grocery store produce). It's time to shift the way we plan our meals and get ready for a summer of new culinary adventures.

I plan to continue this blog, though my posts will probably be less frequent. I'll do my best to make them worth your while, though. I'll also provide links to recipes and ideas already on this site that might be helpful for the week's share.

With that out of the way, CSA week 1 includes leaf lettuce, iceberg lettuce, radicchio, celtuce, green onions, garlic scapes, kohlrabi, red specialty radishes, round red radishes, salad turnips, and kale.

Some ideas include kale Caesar salad, garlic scape pesto, kohlrabi pizza, mashed kohlrabi and co., the incredible Italian chopped salad that uses both radicchio and iceberg (!!), and saag paneer (with kale and the the kohlrabi, turnip, and radish leaves)

p.s. I feel I should admit that I still have some leftovers from last year's CSA in the freezer and dried in the pantry. These leftovers include frozen scapes, frozen kale basil pesto, dried parsley, and dried celery leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment