Wednesday, June 3, 2015

CSA Week 1 - June 3rd - kale caesar salad

Tonight I tackled the gorgeous bunch of Blue Curled Scotch kale.


I made kale Caesar salad, a recipe I have probably made more than any other single recipe since I learned about it a couple months ago. It's also one of my most-requested recipes. I wish I could claim in as my own, but alas it belongs Food Lab's J. Kenji López-Alt. 


The key to a great kale salad, according to López-Alt, is to massage the kale with oil by hand for a few minutes before dressing it. This breaks down the waxy coating on the leaves that can make them so unpleasant to eat raw. The addition of tons of tiny homemade croutons doesn't hurt either. This salad also benefits from sitting a bit before eating to soften and meld further. 


The dressing is killer. It includes mayo, anchovies, Parmesan, lemon juice garlic, and Worcestershire sauce (I add a little extra). 


We had the salad with leftover meatloaf and arugula mayo from last night. Plenty of leftovers for lunches!

No comments:

Post a Comment