Tuesday, September 1, 2015

CSA Week 13 - August 27th - roasted eggplant and tomatoes with Parmesan


Given that I am pretty behind on blog posts and I have lot to share here...eventually...hopefully...I needed to prioritize what I thought would be most useful to any potential recipe/idea seekers out there for this post. I didn't even think to post about this dish before I made it, as is apparent from the afterthought of a photo, but after making it last week, it shot to the top of the list. I know a number of people struggle with what to do with eggplant; this the easiest and most delicious preparation I have found.

I have been making this dish for years. Roasting eggplant and tomatoes together with plenty of garlic and topping with Parmesan makes even tomatoes on their way to the compost burst with flavor and eggplant melt-in-your-mouth creamy. And they complement each other so well.

Roasted Eggplant and Tomatoes with Parmesan Cheese 
Adapted from here.
Note: This is less of a recipe and more of a set of guidelines to play with.

Ingredients

  • 2 Oriental eggplant, cut into thick half moons, some peel removed if desired (I like to take two strips off of each fruit)
  • A handful of cherry tomatoes or 1-2 slicing tomatoes, cut into thick slices
  • 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • Salt
  • Cooking oil
  • Parmesan cheese, shredded
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 425 F
  • Toss the eggplant, tomato, and garlic with salt to taste and enough oil to coat
  • Spread the mixture out in a baking dish or on a baking sheet and roast, tossing every 10-15 minutes, until eggplant is creamy, 20 to 40 minutes 
  • Top with Parmesan cheese

Note: I don't find it necessary to salt this Oriental eggplant to remove bitterness, but it may be necessary for some varieties.

No comments:

Post a Comment