Monday, July 4, 2016

Curry sauce for beets and more


I discovered this recipe in Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. Though I've had the book for years now (thanks, Caitlin!), for some reason I never discovered the awesome list of salad dressings (though to my credit, the book does have over 700 pages). After being introduced to beets with curry sauce by Kristen when she was at Gabriel's Place and to a wonderful curry dressing by the chefs at the New School, I had been trying to make something that could compare. This was my first success. The sauce has intense flavor and a little lingering bite from the lemon juice (which you could mellow with more oil or sour cream if you wanted) that pairs so wonderfully with roasted beets. Madison also suggests pairing the sauce with asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, and grain-based salads. It is, without a doubt, the best way to eat roasted beets. When I roast beets I chop them quite small, about 1/2" x 1/2", toss them with oil and salt, and bake at 400F for about 20 minutes, tossing half way through.

Curry Sauce
From here
Ingredients

  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 tbsp. yogurt, mayonnaise, or sour cream (I used sour cream and can't speak to the other two)
  • 2 tsp. curry powder (my favorite is this
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
  • 5 tbsp. neutral-flavored oil 
  • 2 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro

Directions
Press or mince the garlic or pound in mortar and pestle with the salt. Add the salt if you didn't yet. Mix with the sour cream and the curry. Stir in the lemon juice. Whisk in the oil. Let stand for 15 minutes, then stir in the cilantro. Let stand for at least 15 minutes for the flavor to develop. Adjust flavor if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment