Monday, July 6, 2015

CSA Week 5 - July 5th - squash curry and preservation



I would like to share a recipe, adapted from Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Every Day, that uses boatloads of summer squash and is absolutely delicious. Her recipe actually calls for one more than I have pictured here, but this was all I had left (including the yellow guy on the left from our sad garden). 


I also gleaned a couple ideas for the dish from here so I will write up my final recipe below. Basically, I sauteed onion, squash, and potato in oil/red curry paste, then simmered all this in a mixture of chicken broth, coconut milk, garlic, fish sauce, and brown sugar. I was afraid the squash would be watery, as summer squash can often be, but magical coconut milk came through, making the whole dish consistently rich, creamy, and flavorful. I was initially planning on pureeing the soup, but Jonathan suggested otherwise and I'm glad I didn't. 


I prepared the tofu per directions from a new cookbook (anniversary gift!), which was probably the most amazing way I have ever eaten tofu and definitely the best way I have ever made it myself. I sliced it thin (12 sheets per block), pressed it for 1/2 hour, then marinated it for two hours (it could go longer) in a mixture of soy sauce, orange juice, oil, ginger, garlic, sriracha, and brown sugar. Then I baked it in a 450 F oven for 15 minutes, flipped it and basted with more marinade, baked for 10 minutes, flipped and basted with the last of the marinade, then baked for five more minutes. Jonathan and I couldn't stop snacking on it. The only thing Thug Kitchen didn't mention is that it would make such a f*cking mess of the baking sheet (it's still soaking).


I also made a couple Smitten Kitchen crispy eggs fried in Greenacres lard to go on the curry because why not?  


This dish was a flavor bomb. The tofu's flavor was a bit dominant, but oh so good. 


We had the curry with leftover arugula salad




Sunday's activities also included dehydrating parsley, dehydrating jalapenos, boiling and freezing beets, and blanching and freezing beet greens. The whole jalapeno thing is still a work in progress. This time I removed the stems and halved them, but they curled up and are taking forever to dry. They also smell kind of burnt.

Leftovers this week include cabbage (we do have a plan) and some green bean hummus from week 4. 


Summer Squash Curry 
Adapted from Super Natural Every Day with ideas from this recipe.

Ingredients
8 ounces extra-firm tofu, prepared to your liking
2 tbsp. red Thai curry paste
3 tbsp. neutral cooking oil
1-2 medium onions, chopped
4-5 medium summer squash or zucchini, cut into 1/2-in. thick chunks
12-16 ounces potatoes, unpeeled, cut into small cubes
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth or water)
1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
1 tsp. fish sauce
2 tbsp. brown sugar (less if you are afraid of sweetness)

Directions
Prepare tofu to your liking, or as below.
Mash the curry paste into the oil until the paste is well incorporated.
Heat this mixture in a large, heavy soup pot over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir in the onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the squash and potatoes and cooking until the squash starts to get tender, another few minutes.
Stir in the garlic, then add the broth, fish sauce, brown sugar, and coconut milk.
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender
Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed, adding more fish sauce, curry paste, and/or salt.

Serve with tofu, crispy egg, and basmati rice if you like.


Thug Kitchen's Sweet Citrus Marinade for Tofu 
Adapted from here

Ingredients
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
1 tbsp. neutral oil
2 tsp. sriracha
2 cloves garlic, chopped

Directions
Combine in a pie plate or other shallow dish.

1 comment: