Monday, July 13, 2015

CSA Week 7 - July 13th - eggplant and gnocchi and my favorite simple way to make carrots


Tonight I made eggplant and gnocchi, a favorite combination. I roasted this week's eggplant and one summer squash with oregano (which pairs so great with eggplant - thanks, Sally), oil, garlic, and salt uncovered at 400 F for 20 minutes.


I tossed this mixture with cooked gnocchi, tomato sauce, mozzarella, Parmesan, and a little sugar (the tomato sauce was tart), topped it with extra cheese, and baked at 350 F for 25 minutes, broiling for the last two to brown the cheese. This method really allows everything to meld nicely.


I also made carrots adapted from this book (where it's called baby carrots in gentle sauce, I think). 



This involves sauteeing the carrots in butter for a few minutes, then adding 1/2 cup chicken broth and 1/2 tsp. thyme and covering the pan to let them steam. After they are pretty much cooked I uncover the pan to allow to sauce to completely glaze the carrots. They typically need a little extra salt along the way, too.









No comments:

Post a Comment