Saturday, July 18, 2015

CSA Week 7 - July 18th - crab cakes


This recipe only uses a small amount of a CSA offering (and not even all of what is shown above) so hardly warrants mention in this forum. I am mostly writing this post because crab cakes are awesome and so my mother knows that I haven't just been eating dried celery leaves this week. I am also still transitioning to this new format of less posting and having some withdrawal (e.g. I've already violated it by posting about schug again).


Anyway, I have made these crab cakes a few times now. The recipe calls for flat leaf parsley, for which I subbed curly parsley from the CSA. Though tonight I pan fried them in oil and butter as the recipe suggests, I think I prefer them baked between 375 F and 400 F for 10-15 minutes on each side. It's not only easy, great-tasting, and lower in fat, it also means they don't risk falling apart as much, like they did tonight.


I used all lump meat tonight but have done 50/50 lump/non-lump to save money and found that they held together better because of the smaller pieces.


Finally, I think the salt in this recipe may be a little much, and would recommend trying it without. That's what I'm going to do next time.






1 comment: