Saturday, July 18, 2015

CSA Week 7 - July 16th and 18th - drying celery leaves


The celery we have been receiving in the CSA has small stems at this point, but absolutely gorgeous, aromatic leaves. I did some research last week about what to do with the leaves, coming up with ideas such as infusing them into simple syrup for cocktails, making pesto, and freezing them for stock. I did end up freezing most of the stems for stock, but decided in the end to dehydrate the leaves.


They dried in no time (like two or three hours). Dried celery leaf isn't exactly common in an ingredient list so I will have to come up with ways to use them myself, perhaps adding them to potatoes or chicken rubs/marinades. I'm not too sure yet, but they'll be there!


Along with our chest freezer, our dehydrator has quickly become an essential tool to preserve the bounty of this CSA project.

No comments:

Post a Comment