Tuesday, July 7, 2015

CSA Week 6 - July 7th - kale basil pesto


I have been making kale basil pesto for years now and I would venture to say I like it better than straight basil pesto for its depth of flavor.


I follow a general recipe (below), but really make this with what I have and to taste. This version was much larger (and much less measured) than the recipe.


First, I sauteed about half a bunch of Scotch kale with some salt and pepper for a couple minutes, then added some water, covered it, and let it steam for another few minutes. I combined the kale, basil, lots of toasted walnuts (I love a very nutty pesto), grated Parmigiano Reggiano, 5 or 6 cloves of garlic, extra virgin olive oil, and water in a blender (it was too much volume to fit in my 3 cup food processor).


I transferred the pesto to ice cube trays (but not before eating some straight up) and put it in the freezer.

Kale Basil Pesto
Adapted from We Like to Cook, and Eat

Ingredients
A handful of kale
A handful of basil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or walnuts
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Water as needed.

Directions
Saute kale in oil with some salt and pepper. When it starts to wilt add about 2 tbsp. of water, cover the pan, and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
Combine basil, kale, garlic, and nuts in food processor or blender.
Add oil as the mixture in processing. Add some water if you need to thin it out.
Process or stir in cheese.
Taste and adjust with more cheese, salt, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment