Sunday, June 28, 2015

CSA Week 4 - June 27th - basil pesto, drying parsley and jalapenos, freezing squash



Yesterday I dehydrated the remaining parsley and the jalapenos. 



The parsley spent about 6 1/2 hours in the dehydrator (which may have been a little long) and most of the jalapeno spent about 7 1/2 hours in the dehydrator (some pieces more, some pieces less). As you can see I sliced the jalapenos into 1/4" - 1/2" slices. 


I'm not sure this was the best way to do it since I lost a lot of seeds and pieces through the grates. I may try slicing them in half or keeping them whole next time. 



I also grated and froze all the squash (thanks for that suggestion, Mary).


Finally, I made pesto from the basil, roughly scaling down this recipe. The basil had been in the fridge for five days and still looked like this! 


It was pretty good, but may need more salt and more nuts proportionally to the other ingredients. I was planning on freezing it all, but realized that I was hungry so made some pesto farfalle with mushrooms for lunch. Extra Parmesan on top was good. 


 One ice cube worth of pesto made it into the freezer.



No comments:

Post a Comment