Tuesday, June 2, 2015

CSA Week 1 - June 1st - fajita salad and ideas

By now I have been a passionate eater of vegetables, preferably of the local variety, for eight-plus years. This year I finally joined my first CSA, at Greenacres Foundation, where I work and where my friend, Dave is the garden manager. Stay tuned for photos of each week's share and what I plan to do (and actually do) with it.

---

June 1st (first CSA pickup day). I'm nervous and excited for this new adventure.


This week's share included iceberg lettuce, blue curled scotch kale, cilantro, dill, parsley, arugula, salad mix, kohlrabi, and garlic scapes. 


Monday's fajita salad incorporated salad mix, cilantro, and radishes from the share. It also included caramelized onions, sautéed peppers and corn, sour cream, Jalapeno Pepper Sauce, chopped avocado, grated cheese, and baked corn tortilla strips. We had more than enough leftover to pack lunches for Tuesday. 


My plan for the week is to make wedge salads with iceberg and radishes, meatloaf sandwiches or burgers with arugula mayo, kale Cesar salad (with some Greenacres sausages on the side?), and roasted kohlrabi with Mornay sauce. I also plant to blanch and freeze the kohlrabi and radish greens and get my dehydrator back from a friend so I can start dehydrating herbs. 

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment