Monday, June 8, 2015

CSA Week 2 - June 8th - garlic scape pesto and enhanced marinara sauce

Here we go! CSA week 2 includes Iceberg, Romaine Batavian (I think), and Lolla Rossa (I think) lettuces, Daikon radishes, spring radishes, kohlrabi, dill, parsley, beets, green onions, garlic scapes, and Scotch kale. Whew! 


I also have a ton of garlic scapes left over from our garden at work so I made a garlic scape pesto tonight. I subbed toasted almonds and walnuts for the pistachios and got away with a scant 1/4 teaspoon salt instead of 1/2.


The pesto definitely received Jonathan's stamp of approval. 


I also caramelized all the leftover onions I had in the fridge, mixed in some leftover ones already caramelized for Saturday, and added some mushrooms, kale, and parsley. I mixed the veggies with some marinara sauce and a bit of mozzarella. I loved the thick, sweet sauce that resulted, but it was too sweet for Jonathan. 


We served the sauces separately over orecchiette pasta with some sun dried tomatoes and Parmesan on top. 

p.s. the top photo credit goes to Jonathan 

No comments:

Post a Comment