Thursday, June 18, 2015

CSA Week 3 - June 18th - ginger coconut milk noodle soup with kale, squash, and mushrooms and freezing greens


Today I blanched and froze the beet greens and got them in the freezer. I ended up composting the kohlrabi greens this week since the quality wasn't what it was in previous weeks (I'm guessing because the plants are getting older and because the heat and pest pressure are increasing). 


For dinner I made Heidi Swanson's ginger coconut milk soup. I have made this dish many times, though never the same way twice, and it's always delicious. As Swanson says, the idea is to use what's seasonal. 


In this particular incarnation I added two summer squash, thinly sliced in half moons, a handful of sliced baby bella mushrooms, and the whole bunch (about a pound?) of lacinato kale, cut into thin strips. The soup base was 2 to 1 coconut milk to water plus minced ginger and onion (I subbed one small onion for the 3 shallots Heidi calls for). I simmered the vegetables in the base long enough to get tender and absorb the flavors, then served everything over egg noodles with some lime juice (Heidi also suggests cilantro, but I don't know if it matters). 


This dish is absolutely delicious, with a perfect balance of healthy and guilty ingredients (if you consider coconut milk and egg noodles guilty). The ginger- and onion-enhanced coconut milk makes everything so rich and comforting, which is especially appreciated on a rainy, stormy evening. 

p.s. I posted the kkakdugi (kimchi) recipe here







1 comment: