Wednesday, June 10, 2015

CSA Week 2 - June 10th - Italian chopped salad and freezing greens



Today I blanched the beet greens, radish greens, and kohlrabi greens and got them in the freezer (in the same bag as last week's greens). 


I also chopped up all the garlic scapes I have collected recently and put those in the freezer (without blanching).



One of the greatest things about the CSA so far is the desire and ability I have felt to share food with friends and family. Today we had Dave, Patty, Yarrow, and Ian over for Italian salad, Greenacres chicken breast and Blue Oven Bread (provided by Ian).  


The recipe for this amazing salad is, again, adapted from Smitten Kitchen. 


Given the abundance of lettuce in this week's CSA, and the slight bitterness of the Lolla Rossa, I subbed that in for the Radicchio, which I really found too bitter the last time I made this. I also went easy on the oregano, putting only a scant tablespoon in the dressing and none elsewhere. I added about double the amount of tomatoes, tossed with about a third of the salt that Deb calls for. The "good stuff" pictured above includes salami, provolone, chickpeas, red onion, and pepperoncini. 


The other lettuce is iceberg, which I think really shines here. This is only half the recipe; the other half I saved un-dressed and un-topped for lunches.


We used leftover pork shoulder rub from Saturday for the chicken and Jonathan charcoal grilled and lightly applewood smoked it. We ate it with barbecue sauce and it was absolutely incredible. We ate the Blue Oven ten grain bread with Patty's homemade strawberry jam and Kerrygold butter. What a meal!

Update 6/11: I realized this morning that I did not just double the amount of tomatoes, I proportionally quadrupled the amount of tomatoes. I forgot to set half aside when I was packing up leftovers and instead mixed all 20 ounces of tomatoes into half the salad. Oops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment