Tuesday, June 30, 2015

CSA Week 5 - June 30th - chinese-style green beans and squash with mornay


Tonight started with needing something quick and easy. I figured Chinese-style green beans fit the bill.


In the end, I did adhere to the quick thing, but couldn't help sneaking a little something extra in there. In addition to the beans I sauteed the eight ball squash (thinly sliced) and added a Mornay. I made the Mornay by melting about 1 tbsp. butter in a small saucepan then adding 1 tbsp. flour to make a roux. I slowly mixed in some milk (1 cup? 1 1/2 cups?), salt, pepper, and nutmeg., then added a bunch of shredded cheese from leftover blocks I had in the fridge (Gruyere, aged Gouda, and Parmesan). It was soupy, but good (I didn't measure anything for the Mornay except flour). Why is cheese sauce so comforting?


The green beans got steamed, then stir-fried with garlic and ginger in a hot pan (the aromatics stuck and burned somewhat in the cast iron, but it wasn't a big deal), then de-glazed and coated with a sauce of soy sauce, cornstarch, water, sesame oil, brown sugar (I always add extra), and crushed red pepper.


Yum. It was really good for me to be forced to make something fast and less involved. It was still satisfying and tasty and used a lot of produce. Oh yeah, obviously these two dishes don't go together at all.





No comments:

Post a Comment