Tuesday, June 30, 2015

CSA Week 5 - June 29th - daikon cake part 2, kimchi butter, and roasted roots


CSA Week 5 includes scotch kale, arugula, beans, cabbage, red beets, carrots, cucumbers, jalapenos, green onions, daikons, salad turnips, yellow squash, zucchini, and eight ball squash. I didn't take the extra baking squash option.


I am giving the daikons, salad turnips, and green onions to Kelly. 


Last night I cut the daikon cake into pieces according to the recipe and pan fried the pieces in some oil. Chopsticks were hands-down the best choice for turning them (thanks, Jann). They crisped up really well, but I personally may have like smaller pieces for more crispy surface area because I didn't love the internal texture of the cake (gooey, sticky, chewy, presumably from the rice flour).


Inspired by this I made a kimchi butter, too. I minced up a good spoonful of the kkakdugi with about half a stick up unsalted butter. It was tasty! 


I also roasted up all the carrots from this week and the ones leftover from last week plus the remaining beets from last week. 


This time they cooked at 400 F for 40 minutes because I had larger chunks. 


I made a curry sauce to go on them again, this time using leftover Greek yogurt. 


The dipping sauce was soy sauce, sesame oil, sriracha, ginger, and cilantro. I added about 1 tbsp. brown sugar to this. Daikon cake was a fun recipe to try. Jonathan liked the flavor more than me, but with the dipping sauce I found it pretty tasty. I am interested to know what Kelly thinks. 

Last night I had a feeling that these vegetables have so much more potential than we have time and eating capacity for - there are so many wonderful ideas out there (I was perusing this). If I do the CSA again next year I think I would like to limit myself to a half share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment