Sunday, June 7, 2015

CSA Week 1 - June 7th - leftover iceberg salad gets a makeover

I felt a lot of pressure today to not only take care of the remaining items from this week's CSA, but also to strategically chip away at or freeze all the accumulated leftovers (watermelon, sausage, Cesar dressing, buns, etc.)


In my typical Sunday tradition of oh-shit-what-did-we-eat-all-weekend-I-better-make-something-healthy, I settled on salmon sandwiches with a side salad for dinner. As a topping for the sandwiches I used leftover iceberg salad and mixed in some dill and a bunch of minced radishes. We ate them on leftover buns from yesterday's barbecue.


Jonathan remarked that the iceberg topping reminded him of tartar sauce, likely because of the flavor of the dill and the radishes mimicking the crunch of pickles. If given the choice I wouldn't have included the blue cheese as the flavor combination with the fish, while not bad, was not anything special. 


This sandwich was inspired by one I had at Taft's Ale House on Friday. Actually, when I look back at the menu, it was pretty different, but it still inspired me.


On the side we had a lettuce and arugula salad (greens from Urban Greens via Kevin) with leftover croutons and Cesar dressing from Wednesday. As a note, I think this dressing is better on strongly-flavored greens like kale and arugula. It was a little fishy in bites with just lettuce.


As a way to keep me accountable I'm going to try to document all my "unstabilized" (i.e. not frozen, dried, nor otherwise preserved) CSA leftovers. In addition to those pictured there is also a smidgen of iceberg salad-turned-tartar sauce still in the fridge. 


No comments:

Post a Comment